The six finalists of Additive World Design for Additive Manufacturing Challenge 2017 have been announced. From a group of 76 contestants these six will compete for the awards on March 15.
“This year the designers took a broader view on design for additive manufacturing”, CEO and cofounder Daan Kersten of Additive Industries says. “They tailored their designs to eliminate manufacturing difficulties, reduce the number of parts, minimize assembly or lower logistics costs, often combined. This clearly underlines the trend that industrial additive manufacturing is maturing.”
The entries were submitted from all over the world; the selected designs are from various fields, such as advanced food processing, aeronautics industry, automotive industry and high-tech. On Wednesday evening March 15, during Additive World Awards Dinner at the High Tech Campus Eindhoven, Erik de Bruijn (chairman of the jury) will announce the winners of the Design for Additive Manufacturing Challenge 2017.
The designs are (from left to right, first top row then bottom):
- ‘Sealer-arm’ from the Team Chocolate Shock Prevention (Lareka, the Netherlands, professional category)
- ‘Monolithic Heat Exchanger’ from Dr. Christoph Kiener (Siemens, Germany, professional category)
- ‘Custom Micro Quadcopter Frame’ from Michael van der Bent (the Netherlands, professional category)
- ‘Demonstrator Model for a Supersonic Wind Tunnel’ from Team Alliance (Alliance University, India, student category)
- ‘Light weight components for Manufacturing Robot’ from Boris Sokolov (Peter the Great St.Petersburg Polytechnic University, Russia, student category)
- ‘Carburettor for an Internal Combustion Engine’ from Cassidy Silbernagel (The University of Nottingham, UK, student category)
Become a member!
On Innovation Origins you can read the latest news about the world of innovation every day. We want to keep it that way, but we can't do it alone! Are you enjoying our articles and would you like to support independent journalism? Become a member and read our stories guaranteed ad-free.